Database Essentials for Software Testers
This Database Essential for Software Testers training program helps software testers to learn how to identify bugs in the database of a software application for eradicating any errors to software system including deadlock, poor performance, data corruption and so on. Through this course, software testers get an overall knowledge of performing a database testing process into the database of a software system both theoretically and practically
• Databases – An Overview
• Describe a Database
• Define a Database Management System (DBMS)
• List the Advantages of a DBMS
• Define a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
Relational Database Fundamentals
• Describe a Table
• Explain Data Types
• SQL – An Overview Define what is SQL
• Explain the Role of SQL
• List the Functions of SQL
• Getting Started with Oracle
• Understand the Features of Oracle
• Building and Executing Queries
• Understand what is SQL Developer/TOAD
• Use TOAD for scripting
• Use Auto-generating SQL Statements
• Retrieving data
Creating Database Objects
• Introduce the SELECT statement
• Use the SELECT statement
• Execute a query in Oracle
• Retrieve specific columns in a table
• Sorting Results with ORDER BY
• Filter rows with the WHERE clause
• Use operators to create conditions
• Sort the ResultSet with the ORDER BY clause
• Use the DISTINCT keyword to suppress duplicate rows
• View top rows in a large result set
• Use the LIKE keyword with wildcards to retrieve data
• Working with Multi-Table Queries
Retrieving data from Tables/Views
• Understand what are Joins
• Use different types of Joins
• Inner Joins
• Outer Joins
• Creating Joins with the FROM Clause
• Using the WHERE clause to create a join
• Using SQL Functions in Queries
• Understanding Functions and Function Arguments
• Use Aggregate Functions: SUM, AVG, MIN, MAX and COUNT
Session Wrap – Up
Manipulating Data in Database
- Manipulating data in a Table
- Insert rows into a table
- Using the INSERT INTO statement
- Update existing rows in a table
- Using the UPDATE INTO statement
- Delete rows from a table
- Using the DELETE statement
Advanced Database Objects
- Working with Views and Stored Procedures
- Understand and describe what is a View
- Using the CREATE VIEW statement
- Modifying a View with the ALTER VIEW statement
- Deleting a View with the DROP VIEW statement
- Understand and create an Indexed View
- Understand and describe what is a Stored Procedure
- Understand what are parameters in a Stored Procedure
- Create a Stored Procedure with the CREATE PROCEDURE statement
- Execute a Stored Procedure with the EXECUTE statement
- Modify a Stored Procedure with the ALTER PROCEDURE statement
- Delete a Stored Procedure with the DROP PROCEDURE statement
- Triggers, Cursors and Indexes
Importance of Back end Testing
- Why back end testing is important
- Characteristics of Back End testing
- Back End testing phases
- Back end test methods
Session Wrap – Up
* Note: We are open for any customization to course contents.
Q: When are the courses held?
A: The courses are scheduled monthly throughout the year.
Q: What do I take away from the course?
A: As well as the skills to use the product, you also receive a comprehensive workbook and a certificate of attendance.
Q: Do I get a course manual to keep?
A: Yes, you receive a comprehensive workbook.
Q: Where are the classroom training courses held?
A: The courses are all held in Parramatta, Sydney.
Q: Is the training practical or theory based?
A: Both. All of our course combine practical demonstrations and theory. You will have a sole use of a laptop throughout the course and can practice what you have learnt at the end of each chapter.
Q: Do I need to bring a laptop?
A: Yes, it is required to help you start from scratch on your own machine.
Q: Is there an exam?
A: You do not sit an exam at the end of the course.
Q: What qualification will I get?
A: You will receive a certificate of attendance.
Q: Do I need any previous practical experience?
A: This depends on the course you choose to take. All of our Introductory and Complete courses require no prior knowledge. If you are considering attending an Advanced course, but have not sat the basic course, then you will be expected to have relevant practical experience in the tool.
Q: Do you offer on-site training?
A: Yes, all of our courses can be delivered as on-site courses. We provide all laptops, projector, workbooks and certificates. Please call us on +61 (02) 86773409 for a quote. We can also deliver on-line training just for your company with a schedule to suit you.
Q: Do you offer post course support?
A: Yes, in two ways; firstly, all our trainers can help with initial queries you may have when using the tools post-course via email. Secondly we also provide short-term on-site internship.